How to apply for a visa or a (student) residence permit for Taiwan ROC.
1. The student requires a visitor’s visa of 60 days’ validity for entering Taiwan.
2. After receiving the student identity card, the student is required to apply for a residence permit through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
3. Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bureau address and telephone:
Address: No. 2-2, Northern Building, Jinan Road Section 1, Taipei City, Taiwan ROC
Tel: (02) 2343-2888
Student Visa Application
Visa Type: Residence Visa
Reason for Stay: Chinese Language Studies
Application can be made in the following areas: Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, Hualian
Visitor Visa Requirements:
1. Passport should be valid for at least six months, having sufficient blank spaces for
new entries. Original passport and one photocopy is required.
2. The visa application form must be completed and signed by the applicant.
3. 2*2 inch color photograph taken less than six months previously with a white or
plain color background.
- A visa application fee of NT$2,200 (approx. US$78) (for a USA passport holder the visa application
fee is NT$4,323 (approx. US$135). There is an extra fee of NT$800 (approx. US$25) for extending a visitor’s visa or changing to a residence visa.
Student Residence Visa Requirements:
- Proof of Enrolment at a Chinese Language Center affiliated to a University
recognized by the ROC Ministry of Education. The list of acceptable schools can be found on the following website:
http://www.edu.tw/bicer/itemize_list.aspx? Site_content_sn = 15042
2. A copy of the entry visa must state the study code (FR) and school name.
3. A copy of the stamped entrance registration form.
4. Proof provided by a school recognized by the ROC Ministry of Education that the student has already completed four months of study, and has been admitted to a course lasting not less that three months.
5. A record of attendance from the school.
6. A financial statement proving the student’s funds are sufficient to cover time spent studying in Taiwan
7. A medical examination (valid for three months from date of issue).
Please Note: The medical examination certificate must include: X-ray of lungs; HIV test; stool sample to test for parasites; a general checkup (including mental health examination; an examination for Hansen’s disease (leprosy).
Female students between the ages of 15 and 49 should produce proof of having had vaccination against Rubella (German measles), or proof that they already have immunity against this disease.